Brooklyn, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant, Family Law, Child Custody and Public Benefits for New York

Q: Can the state of New York or landlord kick someone out of there apartment if they’re in desperate need?

Hello I’m Lucy. The kids next door are 18, 16 & 13 years old, lost there mom and there dad isn’t in the picture but there aunt that lives upstairs and also has 3 kids will soon have custody of them, Which is great but they can’t all live in one apartment and can’t afford a bigger place. Welfare does pay half the rent of the apartment where the 18, 16 & 13 year olds live but can’t pay the rest of the rent because of the simple fact they are in school. These kids have there whole childhood memory in that apartment and don’t want to lose it, is there any way they could stay there and NYC could help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The children should qualify for social security and they may also be entitled to public assistance grants. They should check with the department of social services.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.