Portland, OR asked in Civil Litigation and Tax Law for California

Q: Recently my husband and I overplayed the California Franchise Tax Board in the sum of $33,333 . We left California 2004

We never received a letter regarding overpayment. The reason we recently found about the overpayment is that the California Franchise Board had taken money out of are account saying my husband owed them $5204.11. Which we have proved that they made a mistake on owing them. So, my question is can we get are overpayment plus interest since it's been proven that they were at fault?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul Martin Vargas
Paul Martin Vargas
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Hermosa Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hi. Yes, you can make a claim for refund, which may involve a civil action. Or, it is possible to handle this administratively. Please contact us to discuss.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.