Worcester, MA asked in Estate Planning for Massachusetts

Q: I need to claim a retirement plan in mass but my mom lived in florida when she passed how do I do this

the retirement plan is in mass and she passed away in florida in a nursing home I am the only remaining family member. mass told me to file a small estate affidavit I am not sure how to go about any of this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If you are the named death beneficiary of the retirement plan, then all you need to do is provide a death certificate to the plan administrator. If you don't know if you are the named death beneficiary, provide a copy of the death certificate to the plan administrator anyway. That will get the process rolling. Different plans have different rules for who inherits if there is no named death beneficiary. Sometimes it will go to the surviving spouse if there is one or to the children if there are any. But sometimes it goes to the estate, which will require some sort of probate procedure. If that is your situation (the death benefits are payable to the estate), then you should contact a local probate attorney for assistance.

If she owned no real property and all of her other property (including bank accounts and the retirement plan) total $25,000 or less, might be able to get away with a small estate affidavit. You will need a death certificate and the will (if any) as well. The affidavit and attachments need to be filed with a court near where the decedent had lived. You should have an attorney assist you with this. The procedure is simple enough (for an experienced attorney) that it should not be very expensive, and you will gain peace of mind knowing it is done right.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.