Raleigh, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: My ex did not agree to the amount worksheet done by the CSE.

He hired an attorney and they came up with a much lower figure. I declined that offer and have a court date set for Feb. I have no idea what happens next. I believe he is not reporting income from a family business. Will this be addressed and can someone educate me on what happens in Child Support Court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If it goes to Court to make a decision, Child Support is not an 'offer' that you can simply decline. If you and your spouse can not come to an agreement, you will likely be held to the amount set forth in the guidelines. If it comes to that, the only things at issue are whether all income is being properly reported and accounted for and if so, whether the simple guideline figure was calculated correctly. Beyond that, there are some but not many additional factors that might affect the amount. If you go through Child Support Enforcement they should have an attorney that will calculate the amount for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.