Glendale, AZ asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: Us citizenship for my daughter

I am a US citizen living and working in the states, my daughter was born in the UK and has a british citizenship. The US embassy in the UK denied her application because they believe I did not provide sufficient documentation regarding my 5 years of physical presence in the US.

My daughter came in to the US last month with an esta visa , she is 8 months

Can you please let me know what the procedure is to get her citizenship.

Thank you


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Masoud Jahani
Masoud Jahani
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA

A: The subject of your question comes under derivative citizenship. You may have applied by filing an I-130 petition and you were asked for supporting documents.

The requirements for derivative citizenship are below:

A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after February 27, 2001:

• The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;

• The child is under 18 years of age;

• The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and

• The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.