Philadelphia, PA asked in Domestic Violence and Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can pending i-601 filed by abused spouse impact vawa applicant

I’ve been married to my abused spouse for 2 years during those 2 years I’ve been seeing doctor psychiatrist and I have been under medication since then my abused spouse withdraw I 130 the i601 still pending can I file for vawa

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Who is abused? You or your spouse? A spouse who is abused has the right to withdraw a petition. If you can prove that ‘you were abused,’ then you may want to discuss whether it is your best interest to file a VAWA self petition with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.