Roscoe, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: Owed 10k in back child support, state is involved. He has quit 3 jobs in 6 months. What can i do. My son is 24 years old

We have been going back and forth to court several times, he does not follow the orders and once the state takes the money out of his check a few times he quits the job. I have pictures that show he is doing roofing jobs, he also owns several expensive cars he is selling. What can I do to help get this support from him. I have been doing the court cases alone but I am not making any progress. I dont know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If doing it on your own hasn't worked, hire an attorney to file a Petition for Rule to Show Cause. This asks the court to hold your ex in contempt. If you win, the court has to order your ex to pay your attorney fees in Illinois. If it was me, I'd be asking the court to have him sign over the title to those expensive cars you mentioned so you can sell them to pay his debt and refund to him any extra money they bring when sold.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.