Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Support for Illinois

Q: What is going to happen next?

My ex has been alienating me from my son since he was a year old. Telling him to call me "Uncle". She told me I can be his father when she gets child support. Any visitation I had with him, she felt the need to supervise personally and I was only able to visit with him for 2 hour increments every 3 to 6 months. She also moved to Florida completely eliminating my visitation opportunity. I haven't had a job in over a year after being terminated from my last employment because of my driver's License being taken due to child support. I received a summons with a packet of paperwork today via county sheriff. The papers state that i must respond before January 10th. The Sheriff said its not a summons to appear in court. Which I'm uncomfortable believing.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You'll need to have a lawyer see the papers the sheriff served on before he or she can tell you what they are and what you should do about them. The lawyer can also give you advice about your rights to see your son and whether or not your ex could legally take him to Florida. A lawyer needs lots more information than you posted to give you good advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.