Norfolk, VA asked in Civil Litigation, Collections and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: I need help filling out a garnishment summons & suggestion for summons in garnishment.

My housemate didn't pay her half of rent & utilities for 3 months, so I had to pay both my share and hers to the landlord. I got judgment for over $2500 from the court. But she finally moved out, and I don't know where she went. I know where she works, though. Can I use her work address on the forms? The clerk of courts office won't any ANY questions.

I also know she was trying to get money from several charities to keep her from getting evicted. I know I can't touch her Social Security Disability payments, but can I get access to the money she got from the charities but never gave me?

Is there any legal way to find out her address and SS# without paying to court to do it?

I know where had her stuff taken to a storage place, but I don't know the unit number. Would I be able to ask for lien against that?

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: I handle the filing of Garnishment Summons for wage attachments and for bank account attachments. I charge by the hour. If you want to retain my services, please give me a call so I can send you an Engagement Agreement for your signature before I begin the work. Thank you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.