Grand Prairie, TX asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: My 5th grade daughter was attacked by a classmate. My child is 10, the other child is 11.

This girl has been messing with my daughter all year long and I've been telling her to avoid her at all cost. My daughter does not feel safe and I would like to press charges against this child and/or her mother. Can this be done?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shemeka C Hankins
Shemeka C Hankins
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you go down to your local magistrate for assault, that is potentially possible but I would suggest taking other action before you do this. Perhaps you can get a protective order for your child against this child. As to the mother, you could potentially take out charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor if you can get records of reports about the bullying your child has endured from the school. This is all nebulous because it really depends on how the judges in your jurisdiction would react to this and I would ask local counsel in your area for advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.