Halethorpe, MD asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Maryland

Q: Living in section 8 and guest won’t leave the premise

I have a friend who lives in section 8 housing, she has a family member who stayed the night and now he will not leave, he’s been there for a week already because he refused to leave, She’s very afraid, he will not allow her back in her house and has also threaten her life, what can she do without jeopardizing her section 8 housing?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: She can go to the District Court Commissioner’s Office, fill out a petition for protection from domestic violence, and if granted the Commissioner will issue an order of protection forcing the family member out and to stay away. It will be served by the Sheriff or police and he will be forcibly removed from her house. She will have to appear before a judge to get the order continued longer, and after a hearing the judge can extend the order up to a year. Violation of such an order is itself a crime. When she goes to file the petition she will also be given information for obtaining assistance through the victim support staff as well as House of Ruth, which may provide her with a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.