Tulsa, OK asked in Immigration Law for Oklahoma

Q: I need a US birth certificate for my 15 year old son that was born in germany

I have German and American citizenship and his dad is American. How can I get an American birth certificate for him so he can get a social security card?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: Such births are best registered within 6 months of birth. Otherwise, it is unlikely that you can obtain a certificate of birth, abroad. You may seek derivative citizenship for your son at this point. Your son will need to file form N-600 with all of the required evidence. He may need to attend an examination in the U.S. Perhaps, DNA testing may be required, where there are complications in proving parentage or derivative citizenship.

As a result, I strongly recommend a teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration and citizenship attorney before there are any other complications. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.