Kansas City, MO asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: If I had an expungement a few yrs back and got arrested today, would the police's background check automatically show it

I was arrested and convicted of a felony 15 yrs ago. The charges were later reversed and dropped on appeal. A few yrs ago, I received a complete expungement. If I got arrested today, would the police or d.a automatically find the expunged charge, or would they have to search deeper and for a good reason?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It’s difficult to answer that question without additional information from your case. We would need to know the specific charge, the manner in which it was disposed of, whether it was a felony or misdemeanor, things like that. Some expungements go very deep and can get rid of the arrest record while others cannot. Some expungements do not completely expunge your record as the internal records of certain entities (Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, or OSBI, or the District Attorney’s Office), oftentimes remains. You need to consult an attorney to get a more accurate answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.