Las Vegas, NV asked in Criminal Law for Nevada

Q: What to do when your public defender wants you to plead guilty to a charge

My public defender asked if i wanted to take a plead deal where i would be on probation for two years and take classes i told her no what can i do to prove im innocent i can't afford a real lawyer

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Malcolm P. LaVergne
Malcolm P. LaVergne pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: You must plead not guilty, set your case for trial, and have your case tried by a jury/judge. Once you're acquitted, you will be vindicated. There are risks, however, and you could face a longer period of jail or probation if you are convicted at trial. You don't have many more options, unless the prosecutor drops the charges.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.