Truth Or Consequences, NM asked in Federal Crimes, Insurance Bad Faith, Internet Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: 3 of us are being sued into silence for posting a man's misognistyic words publicly online. What can we do?

3 women are being sued into silence for posting a man's misognistic conversation publicly online when he basically openly says its ok to sexually harass women instead of giving them promotions. He has filed a restraining order against them, even though they haven't publicly talked about it since July, refuses to negotiate, and has tweeted about how he's happy he's suing bully's. We bought the website under his name and posted HIS OWN WORDS to the website and he's suing us to take down the information. We have offered to give him the domain at ZERO cost but his lawyers are forcing us to sign a non disparagement which we are NOT willing to do. He can have the domain but intimidating us into silence is less than great especially since its their client who said these words to begin with. They had originally asked if we would be willing to sell it, we told them we never intended to sell nor did we ever think about it, but if we did we want $60k. Now they are also claiming extortion. HELP!

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately this is not the place to solicit an attorney to work for you. You need to immediately locate and retain an attorney to defend yourself against these claims. Any delay in doing so might result in a default being taken against you and you will be prohibited from putting up a defense to these claims.

To find an attorney you can look in the other part of this site where attorneys can be found, and then start making contact with attorneys who claim to be familiar with defamation claims.

It would also be a very wise move to inform your attorney about whether you have a homeowner's insurance policy with broad form coverage, such as an umbrella policy. Often times broad form policies have defense coverage for defamation claims, meaning the insurance company may be required to appoint a defense attorney and pay that attorney to defend against such claims.

Good luck to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.