Asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law and Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: I moved to puerto rico with my 2year old child and want to move out but her dad says he can get me arrested?

He threatened me that he would call the police and get me arrested for kidnapping, he doesn't want the baby to leave. What is the law on this? Could I get in trouble? What can I do to prevent this issue? We are not married and I've been the one with her always. No custody by court, but I am the Mother.

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using Justia. You have physical custody and as such can leave. However he does have parental rights and as such can file in court for visitation rights. The child also has rights to receive financial support from biological father. The best way to handle this situatión is to file a petition in court requesting child support and authorization for relocation.

If you need additional information please feel free to contact me directly. Happy Holidays.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.