Somerville, MA asked in Divorce and Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: Hi I’m divorced two boys one turning 23 this month does my payment get cut in half ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If the older child turned 23 the Child Support Guidelines for the one child -who I am assuming is a minor or at least is unemancipated-would need to be calculated for a Modification Petition, it is not an automatic divide by 2 situation. You should meet with a divorce practitioner who can discuss the facts of your case with you and review your existing separation agreement/divorce Judgment terms. Do not take unilateral action to reduce the child support as you could be hit with a Contempt Compliant

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.