Manchester, KY asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: Can I take my dead fathers land from two people that I found out wasn’t biologically his kids?

When he died a percentage of his land went to me, my half brother & my 2 siblings. I found out recently that the 2 other siblings aren’t biologically his. My dad and mom were married but my mom cheated on my dad multiple times. He wasn’t aware the kids weren’t his. He died suddenly, so no will.

Can my brother and I legally take his land from them?

1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You’d have to file a will contest action against them. Could be expensive with no guaranteed measure of success.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.