Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: My mother in law's green card was forfeited back to USCIS by family member. If my wife and I start a new sponsorship

would she be allowed a work permit while the sponsorship is processing? We filed an appeal on the forfeiture and sent in tax returns and paperwork showing she never left. Unfortunately MIL didn't want to file paperwork for a stolen green card with the police since it was her daughter. We haven't heard anything since the appeal paperwork. Her status online is her case has been received. Really want to know if we start over if she could get a temporary work permit. Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laurel Deborah Scott
Laurel Deborah Scott
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH
  • Licensed in Texas

A: There's not really a process for abandoning permanent residence while in the US. Usually people abandon permanent residence from outside the US. I'm thinking MIL is still an LPR and what you need to file is an I-90 to get the green card replaced. But maybe there's more going on than is revealed in the blurb. You'd need a full consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.