Altamonte Springs, FL asked in Family Law, Immigration Law and International Law for Florida

Q: How can I get my undocumented daughter back from the U.S after I've been deported?

I've been deported. However, my undocumented ex-girlfirend and undocumented 3-year old child remain in the US. She refuses for me to have any communication with her and is now in a situation where her current boyfriend's ex-wife is threatening to hurt my daughter. His ex-wife is upset that my ex-girlfriend split them up. I just want my daughter back. Is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Libertyville, IL

A: Your decision not to marry her complicates matters. If you are on the birth certificate, you will need to assert your right to joint custody at a minimum. In doing so, you may be required to help support your son. You can be forced to prove that he is, in fact, your son. This is really more of a family law type of question, which depends upon which state your wife and child live. This means that you should contact an attorney that handles family law/divorce in the state where they live. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.