Allentown, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: My landlords just informed me today that my rent will be more than doubling with the renewal lease. what can I do?

They told me it is because my rent was a special rate at the time I signed the lease. However the realtor and the rental company failed to disclose this information before I signed the lease. My rent is now going from 1250 to 2725. Is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Not much you can do, except move out. If the rental market in your area for tenants is not good, you may ask the landlord for a short term renewal for a few months so you have some time to find a new apartment. Make sure it’s a “ renewal” as opposed to an “extension” because a “renewal” is a new lease and an extension is a longer period under the current lease). Under a renewal, any possible defaults under your current lease will not transfer over to the renewal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.