Windsor, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: My now ex-husband obtained his green card by marriage.....paperwork question

We married in 1997 and were married for over 10 years and have been divorced for 11 years, how long should I or do I have to keep the mountain of paperwork we received throughout the green card process? He now lives out of state but I still have all of the paperwork, can I shred it? Or should he have it since he is the green card holder?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laurel Deborah Scott
Laurel Deborah Scott
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH

A: The government has a copy in what's call an "alien file". If your husband ever needs a copy, he can request it from the government through a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act). If the file was for you, I would tell you to hang on to it. But since it's for your ex, you can either give it to him if you like, or you can shred it and tell him to file a FOIA if he ever needs a copy of his file. Your choice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.