Mundelein, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: While I was married my ex and I set up accounts for our grandkids so they would have money for college.

As soon as divorce was finalized, my ex went and closed out my one grandson's account and took it all. The child is 3 1/2 years old and we had a 50/50 split on all finances. My son, the father of this grandson, will not speak to his father so he did it out of spite. Can I do anything to try and get at least my half back for my grandson?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Exactly what kind of account was set up for this child? Was the child's social security number used for the account? If it was a proper UGTMA account, then no one would have any rights to the account - EXCEPT the child. In this situation, you would have no claim to 50% of the funds, There could be Internal Revenue Code implications if someone just pocketed the money.

If it was not a proper UGTMA account, then it could still be argued that you gifted your 50% to the child and that the funds were no longer part of the marital estate (and therefore subject to division).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.