Saint Louis, MO asked in Education Law for Missouri

Q: Can a teacher tie grades to a fundraising assignment in a public school?

My son was not successful in raising the assigned $150 for his Missouri public school newspaper. Upon receiving his report card, he noticed this was a heavily weighted part of his grade (1 point for every dollar raised). So much so that his grade dropped an entire GPA. I enquired with a few student families and discovered that many parents simply wrote a check for $150 to the school. These students received the full credit for this assignment. Is this legal to essentially buy grades?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: You raise a valid point. But the school would probably argue that it was not taking money, but basing performance on raising funds for a project. The other parents may have seen the dilemma and decided it would be easier to simply pay the money and be done with it. The problem is that it would cost several times that amount to have an attorney review the matter. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.