Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Contracts, Education Law and Internet Law for Missouri on
Q: This is a pretty difficult case. It includes 5 people, and the ultimate lawsuit is against ASU. I said no to arbitration

The case starts with discrimination and a huge negligence issue all the way to the Dean of that building. Then the VP of Student affairs emailed me several times (she didn't know I was cc'd) with three employees I don't knit l know, misrepresenting themselves as the President of ASU.... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Dec 24, 2022

All I can discern from your post is the your child was the victim of some sort of discrimination based on sexual orientation and that you cannot afford to pay an attorney by the hour to represent her. I suggest you contact some attorneys who handle discrimination matters and see if anyone would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Missouri on
Q: Can knowledge be hurtful
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Mar 11, 2021

Sometimes, but it depends on the facts.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Missouri on
Q: . What can we do if my son was not chosen for Varsity cheer at his school?

I have proof that he is overly skilled qualified to be on the varsity team, which is all girl. Two boys tried out and neither made teams. My son is a World level 6 All Star cheerleader, and his skills for school cheer exceeds the 14 girls that made the team.

Neil Smith
Neil Smith
answered on Jun 2, 2020

Did this happen in Missouri or Texas? A parent in Missouri recently sued his son's public school claiming that his son should have made the soccer team. The case, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, was unsuccessful. The problem that you might have is that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Education Law for Missouri on
Q: Son is in college. How do we "formally" request his transcripts to verify he is taking the hours he is required to take?

We want to be sure he is meeting the required hours and grades for us to continue to pay support to his mother. I read that we needed to "formally" request transcripts and enrollment to verify these things, however there was no description of what a "formal request" is. In... Read more »

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Feb 3, 2020

Your question was posted in the Oklahoma Section. You should post your question in the Missouri forum so you can get answers from attorneys licensed in that state.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Missouri on
Q: Can a teacher tie grades to a fundraising assignment in a public school?

My son was not successful in raising the assigned $150 for his Missouri public school newspaper. Upon receiving his report card, he noticed this was a heavily weighted part of his grade (1 point for every dollar raised). So much so that his grade dropped an entire GPA. I enquired with a few... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 19, 2020

You raise a valid point. But the school would probably argue that it was not taking money, but basing performance on raising funds for a project. The other parents may have seen the dilemma and decided it would be easier to simply pay the money and be done with it. The problem is that it would cost... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Missouri on
Q: Im 15yr,& i left school without my parents permission for 2 hrs for my bsf funeral, i came back can they send me to BCA?

It was maybe 2 hrs but i came back to school

Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
answered on Nov 4, 2019

I'm not sure what BCA is supposed to be, but your parents are allowed to discipline you for leaving school without their permission if they so choose.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Education Law and Small Claims for Missouri on
Q: can I sue my private highschool for not protecting me against racial aggression, bullying, and hate?

I was bullied and terrorized horribly my senior year of high school for being African American, received threats, and more. My private high school did absolutely nothing on my behalf, or anything to protect me. Do I have the right to sue them? I have since then developed chronic depression and... Read more »

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Sep 26, 2019

If we wrote no, would you abandon this?

If you wrote yes, then you would need to contact a local lawyer.

So since you will not abandon it, then contact a local lawyer for a consultation

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Missouri on
Q: School trying to get me to confess to an fight. fight = class e felony. School refused to let me leave or have a parent.

A bunch of reports from an kid and his friends said that I was threatening to fight him and the new law from 2017 says fighting/bullying can result in a class e felony. When I was pulled in I was cooperative and then was told that legal actions will be taken place. I told the principle Im not going... Read more »

Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
answered on Apr 7, 2018

Speak with your parents and let them assist you, even if it means getting an attorney. It’s good that you didn’t say anything incriminating.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Education Law and Libel & Slander for Missouri on
Q: What type of lawyer is best to represent a student in a matter in question at a University?

After reading, it looks like Education Lawyers represent more the institutions rather than families or students. We are in need of a lawyer that can strongly represent the student in a matter with student vs. a University. What type of lawyer are we looking for?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 5, 2016

Look for a member of the Mo. Trial Lawyers Association that represents students.Most of those will handle hs injry/special ed type situations. If it's a disciplinary type issue then you need someone that handles those issues.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Immigration Law for Missouri on
Q: Status CPT : got H1B RFE, may be causes change of status 'COS' denied.

Status CPT : got H1B RFE, may be causes "denial of status transfer"

I am working on CTP, i20 expires 19-Dec-2015. I got picked for H1B this April. I got RFE (issues 17-Aug-2015, RFE final date 17-Nov-2015) on my F1, One thing may cause “Denial of status transfer”. According to... Read more »

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Oct 9, 2015

If your H1B is approved but your COS is denied you can go back to your country get your H1B stamped on your passport and come back to the US and start working. If your H1B is denied you will have to start a new petition. All the best.

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.