Omaha, NE asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Can my father and fathers girlfriend file abandonment against me if we had signed and notarized temporary guardianship?

I originally was in the home with my son at my fathers. But he accused me of being high after my aunt whom raised me and was super close to me passed away. He smacked me in front of my son and threw me out and wouldn't let me take my son with me. Later that day he let me back in and well we apologized but he made the situation worse by making me feel like i wasn't important and wasn't allowed to do anything with my son after the incident so in order for me to grieve properly i wrote a letter not dated signed or to whom it was for but they are now trying to get me for abandonment not only for the letter but because of an assumption that was made and not proven. What do i do about this and what could happen? Im currently in illinois and they are in florida and we have court jan 8 and if i don't show in person they said my rights will be taken? What if i cant make it in time die to my car being wrecked? They wont let me have any contact or anything what so ever?

1 Lawyer Answer
Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Taking a parent's right is not as easy as it sounds, but it is a serious and complicated matter. If the hearing is in Florida, I suggest that you consult and hire a family law attorney who will be able to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.