Lawton, OK asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: I moved states away from my ex wife and kids can i file for child support and custody modification in my current state?

I moved to Oklahoma from Colorado in 2018 because i was medically discharged from the military my current agreement dosent say anything about moving and my ex is not allowing me to see my kids. I also have had a significant salary decrease and can no longer afford to pay the 860 i currently have to pay now it would put me in a hardship. I was just wondering if i could file in my current state to help my situation.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: You have to file where the child support order was put in place. Same for the custody modification.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.