Cleveland, OH asked in Elder Law for Ohio

Q: I would like to know how my friend is legally able to leave his parents on their own.

He has been taking care of his parents since his mother was hospitalized right before Thanksgiving. She has IBM , but is mentally alert and a feeding tube via PEG 5x a day. Then his father fell couple weeks ago from A-fib passing out - also hospitalized for placement of pacemaker. He also has dementia.

My friend has had a liver transplant and taking care of his parents is not safe for him and that he is not able to give them the care that they need it is too much for him now. They won't cooperate won't spend any money to help themselves but expect him to do it all They are not rich but not poor either. He has no power of attorney and would just like to have them hire someone or get into an assisted living or nursing home, but they refuse everything what legal options does my friend have ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: He can attempt to apply to the local probate court to become their guardian. If he is their guardian, then he can make all decisions for them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.