Asked in Immigration Law and Domestic Violence

Q: Question about conviction in another country

My name is Vitor

I’m from Brazil and I came to Australia to study for a 2 years period. In this time I end up meeting and dating someone who I had a hard relationship and after a discussion we had some change of kicks and some neighbours called the cops at the end I got two convictions one for bodily harm DV 15 months community service (I went twice to do an interview and they said I wasn’t need there but still have 2 months to finish) and the other was because I didn’t show up at the court day (I wasn’t fluent at the language and I did not understand when i was suppose to come ). I’m planning to go to Europe and Eua and I would like to know how I should proceed because the convictions didn’t happen in my homecountry.. I don’t have any conviction in my country do I still need to talk about them? How should I proceed ? Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Laurel Deborah Scott
Laurel Deborah Scott
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bedford, NH

A: 194 countries use the Interpol database that will tell them about convictions in any country that reports to Interpol. It is normal and common for immigration officers in those 194 countries to run your name through the Interpol system when you pass through the immigration post at the airport.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.