Bay Springs, MS asked in Child Support for Mississippi

Q: I be legally sued and forced to pay child support by a non U.S. citizen for a child that I do not recognize

I am a U.S. citizen and resident of the state of Mississippi and I have been threatened to be sued for child support by a non U.S. citizen but Philippine citizen for a child that I do not recognize as mine and my name is not on the birth certificate

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Cleveland, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: You can be sued; however, it is more of a question as to whether the mother can establish paternity. If so, then you may be on the hook for child support; if not, then you would not have to worry about child support unless you hold yourself out to be the father.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.