Gainesville, FL asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Attempting to immigrate to Israel. My birth certificate lacks my late father's name. I need to prove paternity in court.

In order to immigrate to Israel, I need legal evidence from the court or department of vital statistics affirming that my father is indeed my biological father. Both my parents are deceased. I have collected extensive evidence thus far, including my father's will which names me explicitly as his daughter throughout, as well as affidavits and DNA tests from his only brother and a cousin. I was told by Dept of Vital Stats that I would need to petition to the court and obtain a document from the court in order to amend my birth certificate and add my father's name posthumously. The court representatives I spoke to said a petition for paternity would not be relevant or sufficient to this unusual case, and that it would be best to hire a lawyer. I've not found any who will handle this case so far. Does this fall under immigration law or family law or something else? What kind of further evidence would be useful? Where can I go from here? I am low-income. Gainesville/North Central FL area.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: You may have to be content with life in the United States unless there is a Zionist organization with an interest in supporting your cause. Immigration is considered a civil right. An Israeli immigration attorney may be able to consider the next steps, but you income will likely create challenges for you.

Perhaps, you may want to consider moving to a different part of the U. S. that may have more of a support system amenable to assistance. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
Madeline Pichardo-Riestra
  • Ocala, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: This case appears to be very complicated. I would highly recommend contacting an immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.