Raleigh, NC asked in Employment Law for South Carolina

Q: What can I do about not getting my pay check for work that I have completed?

I have worked but don't get paid

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You should immediately consult an employment law attorney in South Carolina to discuss your situation. You may have a claim for unpaid wages under the federal law (Fair Labor Standards Act) and state law.

Jeremy R. Summerlin
Jeremy R. Summerlin
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: You have the option of filing a complaint with the SC Dept. of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR). They can investigate your claim and potentially fine the employer. But they cannot recover your money. If the amount you're owed is less than $7,500, then you can file a small claims court lawsuit by yourself at the nearest magistrate's office. If it's more than $7,500, you can speak to an employment lawyer about bringing an action in circuit court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.