Charlotte, NC asked in Child Support for North Carolina

Q: I’m going to court for a civil case for child support if I bring money for payment would the judge honor it

it’s the first court appearance would the chances of me getting locked up slim to none

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Whitney Young
Whitney Young
  • Elizabeth City, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It sounds like the child support agency is seeking contempt of court against you for failure to pay. If you bring the full amount owed to court, the judge will likely not hold you in contempt, which means you would not go to jail. Most judges will honor partial payment as well, especially where I practice in Northeastern NC. However, they will set up a payment plan for you to catch up on the remaining balance and order you to pay court costs. Under this scenario, you would not go to jail.

With this being the first appearance, you could request court appointed counsel. If you qualify, an attorney will be appointed to represent you and the case will likely be continued, which will allow you time to save more money to go towards the balance owed. Of course, your balance will also increase when the next payment is due at the first of the month. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.