Gibsonia, PA asked in Foreclosure and Civil Litigation for Pennsylvania

Q: My Mom was served a civil action mortgage foreclosure on her dead son’s home. He was single/no kids. Must she respond?

She has no money, is on disability, and lives check to check. My step dad and little brother were also named in the paperwork. What should we do! They have no interest in the home and wouldn’t qualify to finance anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: All states have "intestacy statutes", determining how a decedent's property will be distributed, and to whom. You don't say where the property is located, which would determine which state's law would be applicable, as to that property. The foreclosing creditor most probably researched the identities of who would be the legal heirs to the decedent's property, and rather than wait for an Estate to raised to attend to the decedent's debts, the foreclosing creditor has jumped into the foreclosure, hoping to "foreclose out" all of the son's legal heirs. From the creditor's perspective, it would be safer to wait until an Estate proceeding was initiated, and a probate court determined the identities of the heirs, but apparently the creditor does not wish to wait any longer to foreclose and get paid on the defaulted mortgage debt. Without seeing the Complaint, I cannot say whether your mom needs to respond to it. Probably not, if she has not signed or guaranteed the mortgage note, and there is no equity in the property worth saving.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.