Pataskala, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Can you tell me more about the Liberian Refugee green card. I am from Jamaica living in the United States since 2010

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
Patricia C. Wall-Santiago
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: You must meet ALL of the following requirements:

1. You properly file Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status by Dec. 20, 2020;

2. You are a national of Liberia;

3. You have been continuously physically present in the United States during the period beginning on November 20, 2014, and ending on the date you properly file your Form I-485;

4. You are otherwise eligible for an immigrant visa; and

5. You are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other forms of relief.

You are not eligible if you have been convicted of an aggravated felony, convicted of two or more crimes involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense), or that you have ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.

Family Members of Liberian nationals may be eligible if they meet the following requirements:

If you are currently the spouse, unmarried child under 21, or unmarried son or daughter 21 years old or older of a Liberian national who meets the requirements mentioned above, you properly file the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status no later than Dec. 20, 2020, you are otherwise eligible for an immigrant visa, and you are admissible to the United States for lawful permanent residence or eligible for a waiver of inadmissibility or other forms of relief. Note: The same bars to adjustment and inadmissibility grounds apply to family members as to Liberian nationals applying for adjustment.

You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney regarding your eligibility for this relief.


Patricia C. Wall

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.