Fargo, ND asked in Immigration Law for North Dakota

Q: What to do if you are on OPT and receive the EAD before the OPT expires?

I'm getting married in May, and I am also graduating from my MBA in May (I have a F-1 visa). I'm planning on applying for the OPT soon and applying for the green card right after the wedding in May. How does it work if my OPT start date is in June, for example, and I apply for the green card at the same time and my EAD card is sent before my OPT expires? Do I still have a student status? What does it happen? is that even allowed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: First, it doesn’t make sense to apply for an EAD through adjustment right off, since you will have a current EAD. If your OPT EAD comes to within four months of expiring, and your green card has not yet been approved, you can apply for a new green card based on a pending adjustment application at no cost.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.