Bronx, NY asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for New York

Q: Divorcing my wife who I had a baby with. She's threatening to show Judge a video of me with a Knife from last year.

When I moved to a new state. I reconnected with my ex girlfriend who I still loved. I used my savings to help her move across the country with me (flights, car shipping, etc.) We discussed for her to get acclimated with the new city and then find a job to start helping contribute to our household.

Month later it was clear that we were not on the same page, she refused to go through with what we had planned (not filling out applications, going on interviews or job hunting). I asked for her to move out and I would her back home to her moms house where she came from. She taunted me saying she is not leaving, she's gonna do what she wants and freeload off of me and there isn't anything I can do because we are married. I was frustrated and pulled out a kitchen knife to stab her airbed ( I didn't stab it, I was trying to scare her to leave). She recorded it and is saying she is going to use that video with the judge so that I won't have any custody rights to our child. Will that work?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The video may have an impact but you will have rights no matter what.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.