Lithonia, GA asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Georgia

Q: Information below

If I have a bank account in my name and my ex is a sub person on the account but her checks are direct deposited to my account and I close the account due to her hacking in and changing all of my information on my bank account where I could no longer get into my account. As well as my emails and other bank accounts. Am I able to sue this person. I've had to close out all of my accounts I now have to change my social security number. Wait on my information to be changed as far as with my job to even pay my bills.

1 Lawyer Answer
Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Powder Springs, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: It would depend greatly on what you mean by “hacking in” to determine whether you have a cause of action. If she is/was also an authorized account user, she would be/is legally permitted to make changes to the account. However, if she has defrauded you or misappropriated/stolen funds, you may have a cause of action.

It is best to consult an attorney who can assist you with the specifics of your circumstances.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm, (770) 240-0922.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.