Georgia Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: Can a person be charged with forgery of a financial credit card if they never used it

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Georgia on
Answered on Aug 7, 2018
David Edward Boyle's answer
Possession of a forged card is a crime if there was intent to defraud someone. The use of the card is an additional crime of financial transaction card fraud, also a felony.

Q: Is it legal for a woman to use her maiden and married name,as two separate entities and destroy the credit of separated

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Answered on May 8, 2018
Homer P Jordan IV's answer
Typically, people only use one name. If someone is using two names to be deceptive or commit fraud, then that would not be proper. If you are concerned she is doing something to damage your name and credit speak with an attorney. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Q: If you check your credit score and a different name other than yours pop up and two addresses for that person.

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Small Claims for Georgia on
Answered on Nov 16, 2017
David Humphreys' answer
your problem is likely with the credit reporting agency. You need a consultation with a lawyer who handles cases under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

Q: I keep getting harassed by debt collectors over a debt that was not mine and was included in a bankruptcy. Its been 14yr

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Answered on Oct 4, 2017
David Humphreys' answer
from the sound of your email you have a very solid case. You need a lawyer to represent you. You should not pay anything. You have claims for invasion of privacy and likely, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Search the internet or contact my office if you'd like.

Q: If a person calls impersonating a lawyer is it an arrestable offense?

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander, Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Answered on Apr 7, 2017
William Head's answer
Possibly so, but the circumstances of the event will determine that. For example, if the person claimed being an attorney to convince you to send him/her money to settle a lawsuit or claim, that would likely be something a Prosecutor would want to pursue. Having a recording of the exact statements or criminal acts is ideal since Georgia allows one party of a conversation to record the other party speaking.

William C. Head

Atlanta GA

(See information here about one-party...

Q: If someone has stolen my identity how do I get my name cleared?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft for Georgia on
Answered on Jul 6, 2011
Burton A. Padove's answer
File a report with the police department 2. Notify all of your creditors and you may want to consider cancelling all of your accounts 3. File an Identity Theft Affidavit with Experian, Transunion and Equifax. 4. Place an alert on your credit. 5. consider posting a notice on the internet and in your local paper indicating that your identity was stolen. For more information go to the FTC website.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.