Jacksonville, NC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: How can I avoid probate of my house in NC upon my death? I'ma widower. Are a Trust or life estate the only options?

All other non-real property is set via POD designations to pass equally to my two adult daughters. My goal is to avoid probate.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tammy L. Wincott
Tammy L. Wincott
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX

A: You may be able to do a life estate deed. You should consult with an estate planning attorney in your area.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: A revocable living trust is the safest choice. There are risks and downsides to the life estate deed, including partial loss of the step up in basis at death and loss of control during your lifetime. You should discuss your option with an experienced estate planning attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.