Altamonte Springs, FL asked in Business Law and Tax Law for New York

Q: New York notice for additional sales tax owed plus interest and penalties going back to tax year 1999.

Operated a auto repair shop in NY in 1999. Had CPA do my taxes and paid what he said that I owed for sales tax tax for year 1999 which was around $500. Later got notice that I owed more than I had paid so I contacted CPA and he said he would take care of the issue. Had unfortunate events occur in my life, family break-up, had to close my business, and eventually in 2013 relocated to Fl where I have family so that I could put the past behind me and start over. I opened a bank account and shortly thereafter was advised that NY had frozen my account and confiscated all the money in my account. I thought that had taken care of the matter. I recently received notice from NY regarding how they now want in excess of $9000 with added on penalties and interest. Could an attorney help me get the NY tax folks to settle this for a compromised amount?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Freeeport, FL

A: You are going to need a New York attorney. The fact that you may now be in Florida is immaterial. So ask in Justia > Ask a Lawyer > New York > Tax Law.

A: Yes, I am sure you can find a Florida lawyer to try to reduce this large debt. But not for free. Click on the profile of any lawyers on the Justia panel and contact them directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.