Hopewell, VA asked in Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Virginia

Q: A roommate,not on a lease,2 & a half months late on rent, moved out, refuses to pay. Can they be taken to court to pay

They moved in feb. Chased rent a few times. Late Sept they contacted landlord stating they would pay an extra 50 for being late on oct rent. They Contacted again in late oct goin to be late nov. But in nov made a partial payment for oct. Still no payment for nov. With promise to pay dec 21st. They were told on dec 1st may need to seek other options. No payment for dec moved out jan 1st.

1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The claim is for money owed. You can file a civil Warrant in Debt in the jurisdiction in which the premises is located and against the person who owes the money. Your hurdle may be to find the former roommates since the Court requires that person be served in order for the Curt to have jurisdiction over the claim and the parties to the claim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.