Roswell, GA asked in Immigration Law for Georgia

Q: Can my husband and I try to apply for his citizenship?

My husband is trying to get his citizenship but has a domestic charge from 2009 (I was the victim) and possession (less than 5g) from 2013. We tried to go through a lawyer previously who scammed us of our money. He applied for citizenship prior to us being married but was denied. What can we do? Will his charges affect the decision to allow him to be a US citizen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: A domestic violence conviction can negatively affect a citizenship application, but to know for sure if it requires knowledge of the statute under which he was convicted.

Also, the possession issue is serious unless the substance was marijuana for personal use.

We understand that you are skeptical of attorneys, but you can contact your local American Immigration Lawyers Association for a referral. These issues are serious enough you don’t want to try to do anything on your own.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.