Brooklyn, NY asked in Education Law for New York

Q: Need a lawyer to write to a university about my rights as a student & academic dismissal incorrectly done.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mathew Paulose Jr.
Mathew Paulose Jr.
  • Bronxville, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Greetings. Based on your inquiry, it appears you have been disciplined in some way by your academic institution that you feel is incorrect. The proper procedure for addressing an institution's actions is by way of an Article 78 filed in NY Supreme Court (if all internal procedures have been exhausted). But please note, "Judicial review of the actions of a private school in disciplinary matters is limited to a determination as to whether the school acted arbitrarily and capriciously or whether it substantially complied with its own rules and regulations." Also, regarding the penalty imposed, only those that are "so disproportionate as to shock one's sense of fairness" will be annulled or adjusted. Please contact a good New York attorney for further guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.