Torrington, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Assault third and breach of peace in the second degree, want to plead self defense but the state prosecutor does not see

I was arrested on December 29th 2019 for assault on the third degree. I was attacked first, and held "hostage" in the room, and would like to plead not guilty / self-defense but the state of Connecticut does not seem to recognize it, every time I have seen a case regarding self - defense. I was pushed into wall/window, had mail thrown in my face and slapped with it, and was told that the other person is homicidal when they are angry, and I did not feel safe. However, the police did not take any photos of the person's supposed marks, and did nothing when I informed them of the person attacking me. It felt, like I was targeted.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You can always plead self defense if you take your case to trial. However, I would advise you to explore other alternatives first such as diversionary programs such as family violence education program for domestic violence matters; the supervised diversionary program or the accelerated rehabilitation program. I have links that explain all of these programs on my web page or just use google

Max Lavit Rosenberg agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.