Glendale Heights, IL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Illinois

Q: Is it possible to change my child’s last name to mine?

I would like to change my child’s last name to my last name. Their dad and I were never married, we don’t have any court order custody agreement, and he’s always been in and out of her life and not financially responsible. I was informed by him about 6 months ago that he has started the process to get joint custody of our child but I have received nothing. I just want to know the possibilities of getting my child’s last name changed here in Illinois.

1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: It can be done through the courts, but you will be required to provide notice of the court proceeding to the child's father. Be prepared to show it is in the best interest of the child to change the name.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.