East Hartford, CT asked in Divorce, Estate Planning and Family Law for Connecticut

Q: My husband and I divorced about 4yrs ago and in the divorce decree I was awarded 50% of his pension and 60% of his 401k

My husband and I divorced about 4yrs ago and in the divorce decree I was awarded 50% of his pension and 60% of his 401k employee savings. His attorney was to submit the QDRO info, I received a payment payout on the pension plan. But I recently realized that I never received anything on his 401k savings plan. I emailed his attorney Dec 12 2019 in regards to the second QDRO and she said she must have overlooked the fact that she never filed for it. She said she would work on it but it seems like she is dragging her feet for some reason, there is always an excuse why she cannot follow up.

My question is what can and should I do?

Do I file for contempt?Can I sue her or the company?

Will I get interest? Because it’s been sitting there unavailable to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can I sue the attorney because of her not filing for the other QDRO (doing her job!) has caused me “Hardships” in my life?

Will there be added interest on the money I was supposed to receive?

1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: My first question is: Was his attorney supposed to actually draft the QDRO and file it with the court? The reason I ask is that usually, most of us family attorneys, farm out QDRO's to an attorney who specializes in QDROs. There are a handful of attorneys who handle them. For purposes of this answer, I will assume that your ex's attorney was supposed to do the QDRO based upon your question.

You should file a motion with the court immediately. You can file a motion for contempt, although I am not so sure a court will find him in contempt for the failure to act on the part of the lawyer. Nevertheless, you will get the relief you are seeking. You should also request copies of the yearly statements from the date of divorce until today to see if the dollar amount you are entitled to increased or decreased. Usually we put language in the divorce decree that states that the transfer will take into consideration any gains or losses from the date of divorce until the date of transfer. I am not sure if your decree has this language. Just make sure that whatever the amount you are going to get is reasonable in light of the delay. You should stay on this and make sure the attorney informs you of that amount before the QDRO is finalized so you can go back to court if you believe you are being short changed.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.