Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Ohio

Q: If the baby is born in Ohio, how soon can I start the court process to fight for full custody after she is born?

I have a baby on the way, she will be born within the next month. However, I see the mother as unfit to raise a child. I want to fight for full custody of my child when she is born. Is the other parent allowed to leave to another state (with the child) while a custody battle is in process? What is required to start the process of fighting for full custody in Ohio?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The custody process should start with you consulting a family law attorney. After the child is born, you would have to prove paternity, then file for custody with the court. The court would decide what is in the best interest of the child based on evidence and testimony properly submitted to the court. If the mother leaves, the court could order her to return the child. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.