Seattle, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: What possible solutions can be had besides prison in my case theft of auto when I did not intend to deprive owner?

I'm charged with theft of an automobile. I moved from one spot, what looked like a stolen pickup, to another spot. My mindset was to not let thieves keep it when they returned. I acted quickly to solve the situation. I feared the cops wouldn't come quickly or at all if I would have called 911. I was under sever depression from recently being told by my son's mother that I couldn't see my son anymore and that her husband was taking over as his dad. I want to be my sons' hero so I decided to investigate to see if it was in fact stolen and even possible to retrieve. I seen the door was loosly opened and learned it was impossible to shut due to the armauture being forced open and broken. I learned any key worked the ignition and turned over freely. I returned to my car to lock it up and then I took pickup to hide it several times hundred feet away. The only thing I took out of the pickup was the registration so I would be able to track the owner the following day as it was very late.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moses Lake, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: I assume you have an attorney. This is what you need to talk to your attorney about and make sure he/she listens to you. If you don't have one and can't afford to hire a private attorney, apply with the court to appoint you an attorney. If you can hire a private attorney I suggest you do so immediately.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.