Murfreesboro, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I am currently separated (2 children of the marriage and 1 not of the marriage) since October 2019.

I asked my husband for a separation several times throughout the course of a yr he always told me no, we needed to work on it. He finally told me that he was NOT leaving the house (we rent) that if I wanted out I would have to leave. I couldn't take it anymore, so I finally packed up told our children and left on a Monday. I took my 16 yr old daughter with me, my 7 yr old wanted to go with me, but I needed to get things set up and I was coming back to get her that weekend. I did speak with my children throughout the week and saw them that weekend. He is saying that he has spoken with an attorney, he is gonna "get me" for abandonment and he is filing for full custody. He has refused to go along with any visitation schedule that I have presented to him (4 in total) where we both share equal time with our children. He "offered" me 8 days a month, with one of those being a 1/2 day and one of them being a school day. There is no current schedule. I have to ask to see them. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Bull
Adam Bull
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Asheville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: So sorry to hear of your situation. You need to file for custody. I would not worry about claims of abandonment as the law recognizes the need to separate.

Consult an experienced family law attorney to review your matter and address your concerns.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.